Saturday, August 8, 2009

Lot's of blood, shooting, and nuns

Being a film major gives me the incredible opportunity to write off my laziness as homework.
For example: "I watched four movies today! Don't worry, I'm a film major." What I'm really saying is, "I don't have a car right now, all my friends have jobs or class, and I'm bored so I wasted my day watching movies, again." Everyday I convince myself that I will at least get out of the house and go for a walk or something but then I step outside, realize that it's a billion degrees, and turn right back around. I've been working out a lot so that's nice, but even with the promise of physical activity I avoid being out of doors. I walk to my car then from the parking lot to the gym, then back to my car and back to my apartment. I'm just too dang used to air conditioning.

I do strive to attend outdoor activities: picnics, ice-blocking, bonfires, etc. But they don't happen every night and if I have a choice between hanging out and sweating or hanging out and, well, not sweating, then I will choose the latter.

On a lighter note, I saw some noteworthy movies as of late!

"Doubt": Meryl Streep and Amy Adams are so amazing. Philip Seymour Hoffman was incredibly creepy and unnerving which was great for the role, and the whole story made me shudder but I couldn't tear my eyes away. I'm so impressed with Meryl Streep in everything she does, it was weird to watch "Devil Wears Prada" just a few days before seeing her in this. I was definately pleased by the lack of graphic-ness involved in a story such as this one. I guess that's what makes it so creepy is that you really don't see anything so you don't know if there is anything to see. So good. See it. Now.

"Taken": I hadn't seen it until about an hour ago which is a huge surprise to even myself. Desiree and I had been wanting to see it for months but we just never got around to it and finally Russ rented it for us! For violence, two thumbs up. For Liam Neeson, three thumbs up. For character development and good writing, meh. It was advertised as an action film and that's exactly what it was. Editing was good, camera work wasn't so shaky that I got sick or anything, and Liam Neeson kicked some major trash. I liked it a lot for what it was. Not a favorite, but not a dissapointment either.

"300": Wow. I think I've seen my fair share of blood whether CG or not. Gerard Butler is a hottie and his abs go on forever but what's more, it was a pretty enthralling (and disturbing) story. I had no idea what to expect except for a bunch of really ripped guys in loincloths and capes (of which there was a plethora [300 to be exact]). But I got a story, a protagnist, and a goal that I cared about. I was rooting for someone and found myself hoping that this charcter would live, or that one would die. Awfully gruesome images but overall very entertaining and oddly inspiring.

I also watched the Season premieres of "Monk" and "Psych". It's "Monk"'s last season which makes me kind of sad but I'm looking forward to having some questions answered. "Psych" was a little disappointing seeing as Cary Elwes from "Princess Bride" was in it and I love him. But still some fun dialogue.

Other than that, I have no plans whatsoever today and it feels good. Maybe I'll go for a walk but I guess we all know the drill there...

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE Taken. And I've seen previews for Doubt. It looks really good. Did you rent that one, or go to the theater?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doubt is an amazing movie, so good.
    Taken, as far as action movies go, I choose this over Bourne, cause when I say I want to see an action movie, what I really mean is I want to see lots of people die.
    300... I first heard about this film in boot camp, finally saw it whilst in Tank School @ Ft. Knox. It was insta-classic for me. While it does fulfill the role of an 'action' movie, it is anything but to me. It's just great imo.

    My recomendations for movies to see while you are bored: Frost/Nixon, There Will Be Blood, No Country For Old Men, Slumdog Millionaire (MUST see if haven't already), The Pianist, Lars and the Real Girl... anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jon, thank you for your suggestions. Slumdog and Lars are two of my favorite movies! I actually have all the rest of those on my netflix cue just waiting to be watched! I'll let you know my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete