Friday, July 8, 2011

Where is the love?

I've been watching an awful lot of movies recently. I watched all 7 Harry Potters to gear up for the release next week. And I've been trying to watch every episode of "Hey, Arnold" because, why not? Desiree made me watch My Girl last night which was not my idea of a good time, and every now and then you just have to watch Maid in Manhattan because, you do. You just do.

Through my overload of media (not involving the study of camera movements, writing skill, or film theory, thankfully) I've been asking myself one question: Why didn't they hug?

There is a serious lack of human contact in today's movies. Oh there's sex of course (except in Harry Potter and "Hey, Arnold") which involves a lot of touching. Maybe a little too much touching. But the amount of innocent hugging is alarmingly low. I assume that directors think it's better to express thanks, love, or appreciation with a powerful look, a sweeping camera movement, or an orchestrated swell of violins. WRONG! In the real world, we hug.

Example: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
I'll set the scene for you: Harry, Ron, and Hermione are visiting Hagrid's hut. Ron is throwing up slugs after his faulty wand backfired while attempting to hex Draco for calling Hermione a "mudblood."
Incident: Hermione tells Hagrid what Draco called her. Hagrid is shocked and comforts her by insisting that she is the best witch in her year. The music is lovely, Hermione's tears stop, and everyone smiles. Really great time for a hug, yes? Yes. But did they hug? No. She doesn't even say "thank you!" Hagrid is a giant teddy bear!! If the director doesn't feel comfortable having characters hug him, I don't know what's wrong with the world.
What would fix this scene: A hug. duh.

I'm not going to put any more examples because that one was kind of long. Don't mistake my lack of examples with a lack of proof, though. The proof is there, all around, in every movie. Go watch one and you'll agree with me. Characters need to hug more.

Just another reason I need to be a screenwriter: I will fix the sad, sorry state of the classic embrace.

4 comments:

  1. I wholeheartedly agree. http://bit.ly/r5kyae

    ReplyDelete
  2. um, hi, how did i not know you had a blog!? also, i agree with this post, although i did love all of the golden trio hugging action in deathly hallows part 1. http://d30opm7hsgivgh.cloudfront.net/upload/57759291_h1jJnKct_c.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, now that I think about it, you're right....

    ReplyDelete