Saturday, July 23, 2011

Home is Wherever I'm With You

On a whim I bought a plane ticket home. Turns out, they are non-refundable, expensive, and quickly taken from your bank account. Like, immediately. It ALSO turns out that my next paycheck was skipped in last week's rotation and now I have to wait a week for it. So, money issues. Yay adulthood! But I digress...

I'm going home. In September. For 18 days. Number one priority is to hang out with my mom and dad, recharge that family support thing, and remind them why I'm their favorite child. Second priority, though is graduate school. I have plans to visit at least five schools while I'm out there. VT, UVA, and ODU all have MFA programs in creative writing that I would love to be a part of (well, I dont know about loving ODU's program, but that is why I'm going to visit), and they are close to home which would be nice after five years of living in Utah.

What I'm really excited about, though, is the New England leg of the trip. I'm going to visit Boston University and Brown! Boston has one of the top MFA programs in screenwriting and Brown has this really interesting "electronic writing" emphasis to their creative writing MFA that sounds pretty enticing.

Schools that would be nice to hit but are not on the mandatory level are: Johns Hopkins, VCU, Hollins (I know what you're thinking, "A women's college, Amy? Really? That's ludicrous." Yes, but it has a screenwriting program. Also, if you'll notice, it is on the 'non-mandatory' level so quit your judging, you snobby reader, and let me be!)

While there I'd also love to visit some old friends. Namely Kelsey, Addie, Margot, Melanie, Jessica, and Ginny. So, call me!

And to be completely honest with you (although I don't know why I should because you're already judging me for looking at an all female school), I plan on making a trip in November to visit California schools. Specifically USC which has the top screenwriting program in the world. But, naturally, number one priority on that trip is Disneyland. I'm not dumb.



No comments:

Post a Comment