Saturday, July 16, 2011

Harry Potter and the End of an Era

I just came from my third (yes, you read that right) time watching Harry Potter 7.2. Instead of doing a film review (A+-five stars-two thumbs up, by the way) I decided to write a letter to J.K. Rowling. I'm sure she reads my blog, so I'll just let her get to it when she has time...


Dear Ms. Rowling,

I’d like to be just one of many to thank you for Harry Potter. I, like millions with me, saw the final installment of the Warner Brother’s film adaptation last night. I, like millions with me, cried longer and harder than was decent. And I, like millions with me, am not quite sure what to do with myself now.

Comments like, “my childhood is ending” weren’t few and far between coming from those waiting in line with me. We’ve grown up right alongside Harry, Ron and Hermione. From Harry’s first Hogwarts letter to Albus Severus Potter’s concern about house placement we’ve hung on your every word. Everything the Golden Trio went through, I was going through as well (just without the magic and the constant threat of death). Harry had angst, I had angst. Harry fell in love, I fell in love. Harry defeated Voldemort and saved the entire Wizarding world, I survived high school.

Of course you had naysayers and, dare I say it, haters along the way. You knew that you would never make everyone happy with the way the stories ended or the casualties you left behind, but you trudged ahead regardless. You’ve made millions of dollars (pounds, really) with the books, movies, and new amusement park. From your humble beginnings in a cafĂ© writing on napkins to working with some of the most influential people in the world you are truly an inspiration.

Harry Potter gave me something to look forward to for the last thirteen years. Even when the books were done (and trust me, that wasn’t easy either) we still had the films to rely on. Now that it’s all over, I feel a sort of emptiness. My life doesn’t revolve around a fictional character and his fictional world, but a large part of my childhood did and I'm a little lost without it.

So, where do we go from here? I think we’ll be ok. Some will find refuge in new books, new worlds to discover. Some will move on, grow up, make lots of money. Some may stay at Hogwarts, thriving on Pottermore and the countless special editions of the films sure to come out. Whatever it is, the Harry Potter-shaped holes in our hearts will get smaller or even disappear altogether and we will go on to live perfectly wonderful lives.

What will I do? Harry Potter meant a lot to me. But it wasn’t just Harry and his friends who inspire me, you do. Out of nothing you created a story so interesting, so powerful, so relatable that millions of people from all over the world, of every age, lined up at midnight and read until they fell asleep. Instead of whining about the end of something I love so much, I’ve decided to create something new to love. You had a great idea and you made it happen. With everything I’ve learned from Harry and you, I plan on doing the same.

So thank you for the stories, the characters, the world. Thank you for the morals, the flaws, and the inspiration. I hope to read more of your work someday and I hope you read mine.

Sincerely,

Amy Roskelley

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE this. And I honestly can't believe it is actually over. Want to go to Harry Potter world?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got to say that I agree with every bit of this. Without Harry Potter...what will we do with ourselves? :( A part of me died at the end of that movie that can never be reclaimed.

    ReplyDelete