Monday, January 6, 2014

In Defense of Austenland

In Defense of Austenland*
Seven reasons why I’ve seen Austenland seven times

(Feel free to skip all of this and go straight to the list and pictures, I know I would...)

*CONTAINS SPOILERS*

Yes, I have seen Jerusha Hess’s 2013 Sundance darling seven times in theaters. Before you lose your freaking minds know that most of those viewings were at a discounted theater and that there isn’t much to do in the US for a 24-year-old single girl who doesn’t drink or like dancing. And yet, I won’t try to justify my actions. I have a lucrative career, I’m a graduate student studying media, and as a free American, I am allowed to spend my time and money however I so choose (you know, legally…).
I read Shannon Hale’s novel in 2011 when looking for a light-read. It was suggested by a co-worker and I had finished it by the weekend. It was exactly what I was looking for: light, fun, easy. I will admit that I didn’t love it (I haven’t read it seven times, only once), however, my local library did make $4.20 off of me for forgetting to return it for an embarrassingly long time so I might as well have. My biggest “beef” with the novel is its attempt at believability. Unlike the film, novel-Jane is given the “Austenland experience” by a rich, aging relative. This is supposed to pacify the reader’s concern that our protagonist may be an Austen-zealot and, thus, too weird to really be relatable. The thing is, though, that she is an Austen-zealot! And that’s where the movie gets it right.
Jane, played by an always adorable Keri Russell, is an absolute weirdo. The cardboard cutout of Colin Firth prominently displayed in her living room is undeniable proof of that. Her friend, whose healthy progression in life is made obvious by a wedding ring and pregnant belly, serves as a striking contrast to Jane, who is stunted by her unrealistic expectations of love. The film doesn’t hide her oddities: the dorky costume, her excitement at the “copper-level” bedroom, and her enthusiasm for regency-era appropriateness. She realizes half way through, though, that Austenland is not what she imagined it to be. The cell phone that she has snuck in (because she’s a zealot, not a hermit) symbolizes Jane’s realization of the level of her obsession. “I can’t believe I wasted all my money.” She then admits that it’s all a bit of a sham, but unless she sees it through to the end, she’ll still live with this “what-if” thing – meaning she’d be just as bad off as before. The rest of her experience is without expectations of anything but fun. When Nobly confesses his love for her she realizes that she’s fooled herself again, but chooses to break free from the charade. “I didn’t realize this is how I’d feel at this part. I don’t want to play anymore.” Nobly asks her what she does want and she boldly declares, “I want something real.” Although she’s known from fairly early on how absurd she’s been, it isn’t until this moment that she actually believes it.
Of course, what she thinks is real turns out to be as fake as the cardboard cutout of Mr. Darcy hanging broken in her bedroom. She goes home, purges her apartment of all things “obsessed,” and is set to start over when Mr. Nobly waltzes in, declares he’s real and he actually does love her. Of course, they live happily ever after. I’ll admit, the ending does seem to contradict everything the story is attempting to say, but it doesn’t have to. Jane doesn’t believe him at first. Then she doesn’t think she deserves him, and he finally convinces her. The majority of the film may serve as a warning against a fantasized love life, but the last five minutes cater to the opposite end of the spectrum, reminding us that a little bit of romance and magic is ok: we don’t have to be total cynics. It’s a wink, a smirk, a smile. It’s Hess’s way of showing an outpouring of love after chastising us. It’s also a way of reminding us that this is a movie! This is a fictional world. We need to be responsible for our own choices.
The most common criticism I’ve read of the film is that it lacks the “Jane Austen quality.” Some critics claim it’s witless or droll, others that it doesn’t understand its own joke. My response to this is that it isn’t TRYING to be Jane Austen. In fact, quite the opposite. The idea of a role-playing Austen world is so tacky I believe Jane Austen would roll in her grave were the idea to ever see the light of day. And that, my friends, is the point. The film plays with reality and absurdity the same way all romantic comedies and novels play with expectations and experiences. It’s condemning and condoning, discouraging and encouraging. What it says is: nothing! You live your life, you read your books, you fall in love with whoever you want to and however you want to. It presents opinions but throughout, it reminds you that it’s a movie and it can’t tell you how to live your life.

So I will end with a list (since I know that a lot of people don’t read paragraphs, they really prefer lists) of 7 reasons I’ve seen Austenland seven times:



1.       The set. Filmed on location at West Wycombe Park. Anyone who is a fan of Jane Austen, History, architecture, beauty, England, or happiness would enjoy just looking at the amazing locations in which this silly story takes place. I’ll throw the costumes in there as well. Can we please go back to the empire waist look? Keri Russell was pregnant during filming and looked great the whole time. Whenever I wear empire waists people assume I’m pregnant. Not pregnant, people, just fat.



2.       JJ Feild. Seriously. The most adorable ears on earth. He stared as Henry Tinley in a film adaptation of Jane Austen’s Northanger Abbey and when approached about the role in Austenland was asked if he wanted to make fun of himself. He is absolutely the “resident Mr. Darcy” and he does it spectacularly. Sure the film may warn against fantasizing, but it doesn’t judge and it gives us JJ.


3.       Fun and quotable dialogue. Colonel Andrews has some of the best one-liners that are often muttered or in the background. “It appears it is my duty to gaze into your eye. I’m a military man, I never shirk my duty. Oh yes, there is something there… FIRE!”


4.       Bret McKenzie. C’mon! Flight of the Conchords! Fans of the band or of the show will be fans of the movie. It has a similar wacky, bizarre feel to it and his portrayal of Martin is the perfect combination of delightful, dorky, and douche-y.   
  


5.       New things. Every time I see it I laugh at a previously unheard line, or notice a piece of scenery. My current favorites are 1) when Captain East falls straight into Colonel Andrew’s crotch and Andrews says, “don’t get up too quickly, George.” It all happens at the edge of the frame and in the off-screen noise. And 2) every statue at the estate is poorly covered with leaves so as not to expose any naked body part. This just adds to how tacky the place of Austenland really is.


6.       Jennifer Coolidge. Almost everything she says is improvised which is a delightful nugget of trivia and her character is a delightful change from what she might have been. She’s rich and stupid but she’s kind and takes to Jane right away. She’s like an adorable puppy. You pity her in a way but you mostly envy her simplicity.


7.       It makes me feel good. Talk about the epitome of a feel-good movie. It’s light enough and funny enough that you find yourself smiling through the whole thing. It never tugs at your tear ducts or messes with your gag reflex. It’s the perfect combination of my two favorite things: romance and humor.


Now excuse me, there is a showing at 5 and I don’t want to be late. 


*This is in no way an exhaustive resource for all things good about this movie, nor does it address any of the imperfections that all films are bound to have, but I love this movie and I thought there should be something positive out there about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment