Tuesday, December 13, 2011

My New Mission


WARNING: this is lengthy. It is OK to just look at pictures. Also, tenses are all over the map. Please ignore.

It has been quite some time since my last update and there is a reason for that.

Very shortly after I wrote that last bit about my wisdom teeth, I was struck with an idea that seemed to fester with such uncontrollable persistence that I finally did something about it.
That idea was to go on a mission.

The thing I did was sign up for one.



For those who are unfamiliar with the concept/process, here is a short explanation:

In my church (The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints [Mormon]) young men and women have the opportunity to spend 18 months to 2 years giving humanitarian service, meeting new people, and most significantly introducing those people to our beliefs.

Other churches have similar programs for their members. Some key differences, however, include paying for it ourselves, only communicating with one's family through letters, avoiding media, wearing suits (skirts/dresses for me), and having no control over where you are sent.


Going on a mission is completely optional, as is accepting your assignment. Although, most people who are willing to leave their lives behind for so long are also willing to go wherever they are needed.

Some people go to crazy new places. This is my friend, Taylor, and he is currently in Ghana.




Others are sent somewhere closer to home. My good friend Maddie just got back from Tacoma, Washington!



Wherever you go, the things you do are the same: tell people about the Church.


So, the point is, I'm going on a mission! I didn't want to post anything publicly until I knew where I was going and the process takes a LONG time.

First you have to go through a lot of interviews to make sure you are mentally and spiritually prepared for such a huge change in your life.

Then there's all the paperwork, I mean REALLY! I've never had to fill out that much paperwork and I applied to 5 colleges!

There are a lot of doctor and dentist visits to make sure you are in good health, and then (if you're like me) you have to catch up on all the shots your mom was nice enough to let you skip in elementary school.

When all of that is finally finished, you have to talk to MORE people about your willingness and preparation for this enormous change.

Then, finally, you mail your stuff to the Church headquarters in Salt Lake City and then you sit and wait. And wait, and wait, and then wait some more. And then you'll think it's here but it's not so you continue to wait.

Then, one day, you'll walk past the mailbox on your way to dinner and think, "hmm, maybe I'll just look for fun" and there will be a giant, white envelope with your full name printed on the front.

You will promptly ditch your dinner plans and run back up to your apartment where you will freak out for exactly 18 seconds before ripping open the envelope and reading the first paragraph.

It is different for everyone and this is what is said in mine:

"You are hereby called to serve as a missionary of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. You are assigned to labor in the Argentina Buenos Aires South Mission. It is anticipated that you will serve for a period of 18 months. You should report to the Provo Missionary Training Center on Wednesday, February 22, 2012. You will prepare to preach the gospel in the Spanish Language."

Needless to say, I freaked out. My dad served his mission in Buenos Aires as well and I've grown up hearing amazing stories about his time there. I could not be happier about my decision to go or the assignment I received.

¡¡¡ Argentina !!!

7 comments:

  1. Amy I got tears in my eyes reading the beginning of your call. Partly because it just takes me back to reading my call. But it's so exciting. I'm so happy for you! So proud of you! (That's my RS Presidency-ness coming out in me... how nerdy...) Congratulations, you'll be awesome, you'll do amazing things, and you'll be so happy you went on a mission. (I know, because I am.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so awesome! Good luck Amy. I think you're going to be an amazing missionary because (and no, I don't know you that well) you just seem like the kind of person who is accepting of others and not super judgmental. That's just the vibe I get :) And people will be able to feel that when you talk to them. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so proud of you! You are going to love being out there serving amongst the Argentine people. (is that what you call the people in Argentina?) anyway, It will be an awesome time! I will write you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats - Argentina is a great place. I served in the Buenos Aires North Mission, so you are close to Zion, lol. I loved it, once I got there. It is like a small Europe except everyone speaks Spanish. Chao!

    By the way, I found your blog on Elder Brock Jones facebook page. He is from my ward in Kingman. Small world!

    ReplyDelete